Live Chat

So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Anything else

So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:07 am

Let's start with this before you read anything else. Forget the title for a moment.

I hate Valve.

They have an absolute monopoly and have the ability to literally play god with people's lives. And no one cares, they actually support it.

Because without it, PC Gaming is nothing.

Now, cue title.

Right, this is fucking retarded. I don't care what you say, about how it was "Unprofessional", HOW MANY FUCKING DEVELOPERS ARE PROFESSIONAL? WATCH INDIE GAME, IT PROVES MY POINT.

There was NO reason for Valve to be dicks because one of the million assholes on Twitter (Many people hate Gaben and also said the same thing probably) said "I'm going to kill Gabe Newell" because, you know. Gaben can't handle bad PR, the THOUGHT of losing more money, or other people using other platforms.

He does a lot of dodgy shit, has a FUCKING MONOPOLY on PC Gaming, and has the godlike power to shit on someone and ruin their lives. Just because.

It's fucking stupid.

And yes, I know there are other options. None of them will net you as many sales, none of them benefit your product as much as Steam. Steam decides whether your game lives or dies, and they KNOW IT.

What reason, in any logical human's mind, is there to PULL A GAME AND RUIN A COMPANY because some asshole got pissed because your system is shit and you refuse to fix it?

And yes, Steam continues to be a choice that only exists because it's where games are hosted and where most people will buy games. No matter how shit it is Steam will continue to exist until Valve pulls it and murders every game and prevents people from using their purchases.

Amazing isn't it?

And the dev who did it (Multiple devs mind you, so once EA's PR guy goes insane we can expect their games to get pulled as well, if they weren't already) returned to the company after contemplating leaving.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ocialoomph

Those comments actually make me want to kill myself. I actually loaded a gun and prepared a noose as I read those shit comments.

It PROVES the vast majority of games don't care who makes video games. Mike wasn't a human until he fucked up (And got pissed thanks to Steam's shitty ability to handle anything, and rightfully so) so that people could look down on him because they are pretentious fucks.

I don't see how venting (EVERYONE'S DONE IT BEFORE) on any website thanks to a horrible service is childish and wrong. Face it. If it was your game you would be pissed that Steam fucked one thing or another up. We also don't know what happened during Mike's week (And if you do I don't believe you).

AND THEN people call him "Unprofessional" despite the fact he never CLAIMED to be professional in the first place.

So, there's that.

AND AFTER THAT people decided that his "Leaving" was a stunt (Psykers are you?) and he came back because it didn't work.

I'm actually curious about why people side with Valve on this. And NO ONE with a mind that isn't retard deep in "GABE IS GOD! ALL ELSE IS HERESY!" bullshit would be able to muster anything but a rickety defense to Valve.

No, they overreacted more then Code Avarice, which was one developer who was pissed thanks to Steam out of a few other developers, there's no reason for them to pull the game, which they paid money to get on Steam in the first place. Let alone develop.
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Ragdollmaster » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:27 am



To elaborate

They have an absolute monopoly and have the ability to literally play god with people's lives. And no one cares, they actually support it.


Lol. Well, there goes the most absurd thing I've read today.

There was NO reason for Valve to be dicks because one of the million assholes on Twitter


Responding to death threats is being a dick, cool

He does a lot of dodgy shit, has a FUCKING MONOPOLY on PC Gaming, and has the godlike power to shit on someone and ruin their lives. Just because.


A) Like? B) Valve's not a monopoly C) Lol. Lolololol. Gabe Newell is a video game development head, not the director of the KGB. Are you mad?

And yes, I know there are other options. None of them will net you as many sales, none of them benefit your product as much as Steam. Steam decides whether your game lives or dies, and they KNOW IT.


That's not even a monopoly-in-effect. I don't know if you're aware of this- I realize it's hard to have a rudimentary grasp of economics when you've never taken a class on it- but if that's true, congrats, the free market worked. There is always a 'single overall best' platform or market to distribute product in. In everything.

What reason, in any logical human's mind, is there to PULL A GAME AND RUIN A COMPANY because some asshole got pissed because your system is shit and you refuse to fix it?


If you're going to be one of the heads of a business, a company, you're obligated to behave in a certain way. There are standards to adhere to and rules to follow. Making death threats on social media is unacceptable. Name one other even remotely well-known and successful person in a professional position who has done such a thing.

It PROVES the vast majority of games don't care who makes video games


I really like how you have this irritating style of writing where if you think you make something BIG or call it a FACT it somehow adds weight to your argument or makes you more persuasive. A comments section on one site where 0.00000000001% of all gamers in existence proves something about the 'vast majority?' Fascinating. Tell me more about your research in statistical inferences at the University of Stay In School, Kid.

AND AFTER THAT people decided that his "Leaving" was a stunt (Psykers are you?) and he came back because it didn't work.


Yeah, that's actually probably right. Again, since the concept of this whole affair seems so foreign and baffling to you, you might not understand the importance of PR, public image, investors, partners, and a great deal of many other things which directly tie into how the head of a business behaves. When someone makes a shitstorm, they get kicked out, hard. This is the company 'cutting its losses.' They want to repair the damage, which is 100% their fault to begin with. In this case, the guy "resigned" (I can't put enough air quotes around that :roll: I'm sure his mates "strongly suggested" that he do so for the good of the company), and then that didn't help the situation at all, so they said fuck it, it can't get worse to bring him back in (as a co-founder I imagine he had some importance there) and try to start fresh somewhere else.

AND THEN people call him "Unprofessional" despite the fact he never CLAIMED to be professional in the first place.


...

I think everything above that should explain why, yes, he was supposed to be professional.

I'm actually curious about why people side with Valve on this. And NO ONE with a mind that isn't retard deep in "GABE IS GOD! ALL ELSE IS HERESY!" bullshit would be able to muster anything but a rickety defense to Valve.


Or, I mean, anyone with an even elementary grasp on business etiquette, public image, and the elusive Not Being a Retard 101, starring 'don't make death threats on social media.' But I like your strawman that tries to demean and deride anyone who'd disagree with you because obviously, your point of view is so inherently correct that it's the only one to end up with if you've got an ounce of logic :roll:

there's no reason for them to pull the game


Oh, yeah, I guess they could have just not done anything about it, except this sends the message, "Yes, you can make death threats to our CEO and still receive our services, why not?" Please feel free to find me any business that would allow that.

Wow, this was a bigger heap of shit than anything you've posted in your anti-feminism rants, and that's saying something. At least the other thread had a decent amount of room for subjectivity and opinion. This is just someone who is incredibly naive and so misguided that they think clearly, everyone else is the problem.
User avatar
Ragdollmaster
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Island of Lugaru

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:01 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:

Wait this video exists?
Holy shit I never need to respond to steam comments again.

Lol. Well, there goes the most absurd thing I've read today.

Read another note later in the post. The actual "Monopoly" is that Steam can shit on anyone and everyone. It's stupid. They are the only profitable option, though not the only option.

Seriously if GoG didn't exist this would be an actual problem.



Responding to death threats is being a dick, cool

What response? They pulled the game without saying anything. For all we know that had nothing to do with it.


A) Like? B) Valve's not a monopoly C) Lol. Lolololol. Gabe Newell is a video game development head, not the director of the KGB. Are you mad?

1: The community market https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUZCT3KgcJw
2: I know, I said that Valve is the best option and the most used option.
3: Pulling your game and cutting your source of income when you may not have had a backup is bad.
Meaning, you may be fucked.


That's not even a monopoly-in-effect. I don't know if you're aware of this- I realize it's hard to have a rudimentary grasp of economics when you've never taken a class on it-

No, I'm well aware.
but if that's true, congrats, the free market worked. There is always a 'single overall best' platform or market to distribute product in. In everything.

Yet, there are ALWAYS alternatives that function somewhat as good.



If you're going to be one of the heads of a business, a company, you're obligated to behave in a certain way. There are standards to adhere to and rules to follow. Making death threats on social media is unacceptable. Name one other even remotely well-known and successful person in a professional position who has done such a thing.

Again, Mike wasn't ever in a professional position. And regardless that was still an overreaction, especially for a game that was only gonna get better and make Valve a lot more money.

They aren't obligated to act any specific way, they are obligated to make money, nothing more.


I really like how you have this irritating style of writing where if you think you make something BIG or call it a FACT it somehow adds weight to your argument or makes you more persuasive. A comments section on one site where 0.00000000001% of all gamers in existence proves something about the 'vast majority?' Fascinating. Tell me more about your research in statistical inferences at the University of Stay In School, Kid.

*sigh* Sometimes I wonder if you'd starve if no one responded to you. Being a self-centered fuckwit who can't go a week without being a fuckwit.

Anyways, moving on from actual facts to opinion rants.

The big text thing is about emphasis/expression of nerd-rage. When I can't be bothered to use the bold text code that exists already. It's a bitch to use and I got fed up with it so I used my perfectly functional caps-lock key to deal with it.

And by "Vast majority" I mean those who cared. Eurogamer, Steam and god knows how many other sites that have responded to this all share one thing:

"He fucked up" when talking about CA's developer.


Yeah, that's actually probably right. Again, since the concept of this whole affair seems so foreign and baffling to you, you might not understand the importance of PR, public image, investors, partners, and a great deal of many other things which directly tie into how the head of a business behaves.

What? Code Avarice doesn't need to deal with any other that. They don't have a lot of investors, Steam was their only partner and that's over and they don't seem to care about their public image and PR.

When someone makes a shitstorm, they get kicked out, hard. This is the company 'cutting its losses.' They want to repair the damage, which is 100% their fault to begin with. In this case, the guy "resigned" (I can't put enough air quotes around that :roll: I'm sure his mates "strongly suggested" that he do so for the good of the company), and then that didn't help the situation at all, so they said fuck it, it can't get worse to bring him back in (as a co-founder I imagine he had some importance there) and try to start fresh somewhere else.

Or it could be that Mike apologized (I could find it), left the company, realized it was a bad idea and went back to the company because CA needed him.

Because shifting careers can be an absolute bitch sometimes.


...

I think everything above that should explain why, yes, he was supposed to be professional.

But he didn't try to since the very beginning. That's something common with a lot of indie games.

Name: Arcane Worlds, Project Zomboid and Braid and Super Meat Boy.



Or, I mean, anyone with an even elementary grasp on business etiquette

One developer.

public image,

Damage seems minimal

and the elusive Not Being a Retard 101, starring 'don't make death threats on social media.'

Alright you have him there.

But I like your strawman that tries to demean and deride anyone who'd disagree with you because obviously, your point of view is so inherently correct that it's the only one to end up with if you've got an ounce of logic :roll:

Never claimed it was. I tried to say that if you weren't blatantly biased you couldn't do anything but offer a small defense. Other than the trademark "He shoulda acted differently" because, you know.


Oh, yeah, I guess they could have just not done anything about it, except this sends the message, "Yes, you can make death threats to our CEO and still receive our services, why not?"

How do we know the death threat had anything to do with it?

And besides, why would it have sent a message? The threats are hollow, and mean nothing. So this sends a message "We're not dicks, say whatever you want."

Please feel free to find me any business that would allow that.

Well I use Google Chrome and send death threats to Google, so there's that.

And Google has pissed off a lot more people.



Wow, this was a bigger heap of shit than anything you've posted in your anti-feminism rants,

Had a bad day, I liked PA. Found this. Read the comments.

I said it was a rant coming in and wasn't intended for discussion.

and that's saying something.

Not really.

At least the other thread had a decent amount of room for subjectivity and opinion.

Then I did something wrong.

This is just someone who is incredibly naive and so misguided that they think clearly, everyone else is the problem.

We need a facepalm emoticon for this. Just for this comment.

No, not everyone else is the problem. Valve having a stranglehold on PC Gaming is. Using Valve doesn't make you the problem, hell it doesn't make you anything but a PC gamer using the best available option.

I don't believe anyone here is at fault, except the dev for acting out irrationally and Valve for enacting their godlike power to cut them off.

Most companies can do that nowadays apparently.
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Endoperez » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:19 am

Death threats are not okay.

You will have a reaaly hard time convincing anyone that Steam didn't have the right to refuse to work with a company represented by someone threatening them.

You might have better luck discussing whether Steam is good for the industry or not. However, remember that one of the alternatives is Msft App Store shared between Win8 and WinPhone. Closed store. Those are now the norm on phones...
User avatar
Endoperez
 
Posts: 5668
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am
Location: cold and dark and lovely Finland

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:24 am

Endoperez wrote:Death threats are not okay.

They aren't.


You will have a reaaly hard time convincing anyone that Steam didn't have the right to refuse to work with a company represented by someone threatening them.

They had the right to, whether it was right (Especially for the dev who suffered for it) is up for debate and entirely subjective.

You might have better luck discussing whether Steam is good for the industry or not. However, remember that one of the alternatives is Msft App Store shared between Win8 and WinPhone. Closed store. Those are now the norm on phones...

I don't think Steam is good for the industry, when it has such an iron fist on the industry.

While Valve hasn't done anything wrong, that we know of at least, they could in the future once there isn't any other options available, or all of their games are on the line.
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Endoperez » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:36 am

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:I don't think Steam is good for the industry, when it has such an iron fist on the industry.

While Valve hasn't done anything wrong, that we know of at least, they could in the future once there isn't any other options available, or all of their games are on the line.


Can there be a world where a single marketplace doesn't have a leading position?

How much is too much? GoodOldGames, Origin, the option of physical copies, various non-English online marketplaces...
User avatar
Endoperez
 
Posts: 5668
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am
Location: cold and dark and lovely Finland

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Korban3 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:59 am

Don't forget Desura. Desura's the shit.

Anyways, there's a professional and there's a mature adult.

Threatening to kill someone because of a really stupid, small error is immature. It's also unprofessional. Asking a Steam support ninja to politely address the error right meow please is mature, but still unprofessional.

A professional is a bald guy with a barcode tattoo.
A mature person is someone who doesn't make death threats over stupidly miniscule issues.

And no, if it was my game that had the problem I would literally do exactly what I suggested. "Hey Steam ninja, can you look at this, right meow if you have time please?"


Also, your hate boner is tenting your hate pants. You can feel free to use the hate outhouse, just clean up afterwards.
User avatar
Korban3
 
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 pm
Location: 42nd St E, Hell

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Endoperez » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:42 am

Korban3 wrote:Don't forget Desura. Desura's the shit.


Desura is very, very small according to the dudes who follow the sales data. I couldn't find any specific numbers on it thought - I haven't found any good listing of digital distributors' market shares newer than 2011 (e.g. here).

However, I did finally find a relatively recent article mentioning Steam's market share. About a year ago, it was 75%.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-0 ... -sony.html
User avatar
Endoperez
 
Posts: 5668
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am
Location: cold and dark and lovely Finland

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby EPR89 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:47 am

Since Phoenix didn't care to post what the guy said, here it is.

Image
And that's not all. He called Steam an"incompetent piece of fucking shit."

That's about as good a reason to pull a game from the store as you can get. If he wanted to criticise Steam, he should probably have done that instead of insulting the company and people working there. What he did is just stupid. Valve doesn't have to take this.

There are many other stores online: GOG, Origin, Desura (it's on there), GamersGate (it's on there), the Humble Store (it's on there too).
If they want to sell their game, they have plenty of options. Well, unless they decide to directly insult representatives from those places directly as well. Valve was 100% justified in pulling the game.
They decide who to offer their service and if those guys treat them like arseholes there is no reason to tolerate them.


Steam does not have a monopoly. That's a blatannt abuse of the term. Like I said, there are plenty of stores online. WHat makes them different is the amount of people they reach.
I don't see what's inherently wrong with Steam having a huge influence in the business. It took them years to achieve it. Developers want to be on Steam, people want to buy from there. It developed naturally.
If you want to criticise something about Steam, like the piss-poor customer service, do it. But don't go around venting off about them and threatening employees. Isn't it obvious what happens when you do that? How goddamn stupid is that guy?
User avatar
EPR89
 
Posts: 1844
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 am
Location: Germany

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Ragdollmaster » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:59 am

tl;dr another shit thread, Phoenix remains a dumb, gravity still exists. Nothing new.
User avatar
Ragdollmaster
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Island of Lugaru

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Endoperez » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:51 pm

EPR89 wrote:I don't see what's inherently wrong with Steam having a huge influence in the business. It took them years to achieve it. Developers want to be on Steam, people want to buy from there. It developed naturally.


40 % market share has been large enough for EU to tell the company that their position as the leading somethingsomething shouldn't be abused or something. I'm not good at legalese, but basically, without intervention 75% share is easily big enough that Steam could abuse their position IF they wanted.

They have the means, but that alone doesn't mean they've done anything wrong.
User avatar
Endoperez
 
Posts: 5668
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am
Location: cold and dark and lovely Finland

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:45 pm

Korban3 wrote:Don't forget Desura. Desura's the shit.

Indeed it is. It's just not as popular.


Anyways, there's a professional and there's a mature adult.

Threatening to kill someone because of a really stupid, small error is immature. It's also unprofessional. Asking a Steam support ninja to politely address the error right meow please is mature, but still unprofessional.
Granted, but we still don't know what Mike was thinking or if he just had a really, really bad day.


A professional is a bald guy with a barcode tattoo.

In every game before Absolution...

A mature person is someone who doesn't make death threats over stupidly miniscule issues.

Again, we dunno if he had a bad day or not. People get really, really aggravated over their games being misrepresented or having issues. People in similar positions (Indie Game: The Movie comes to mind) also tend to be "God-fucking-dammit". Anyone who might be pissed already would probably lash out.

And no, if it was my game that had the problem I would literally do exactly what I suggested. "Hey Steam ninja, can you look at this, right meow if you have time please?"

Then you might get a fix a week later if Steam doesn't fix it automatically.



EPR89 wrote:Since Phoenix didn't care to post what the guy said, here it is.

Image

I knew he said that but I forgot to post it, whoops. Thanks.

And that's not all. He called Steam an"incompetent piece of fucking shit."

So, they might have pulled it for reasons that weren't the death threat but the other insults?


That's about as good a reason to pull a game from the store as you can get.

Or, you know, putting up a shit game with microtransactions and misinformation. The WarZ in case you didn't know.

If he wanted to criticise Steam, he should probably have done that instead of insulting the company and people working there. What he did is just stupid. Valve doesn't have to take this.

Correct, they don't. That doesn't mean they did overreact somewhat, even if what Mike did was totally unprofessional and out of place (And it was, granted).

.


Steam does not have a monopoly. That's a blatannt abuse of the term. Like I said, there are plenty of stores online. WHat makes them different is the amount of people they reach.
I don't see what's inherently wrong with Steam having a huge influence in the business. It took them years to achieve it. Developers want to be on Steam, people want to buy from there. It developed naturally.

That doesn't exactly justify something.

Ragdollmaster wrote:tl;dr another shit thread, Phoenix remains a dumb, gravity still exists. Nothing new.

You, fuck off.
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Endoperez » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:57 pm

What do you think is an appopriate response to a business parrner reacting in such a rude, unprofessional way?

You've said what you don't think is acceptable, but not what'd be ok.
User avatar
Endoperez
 
Posts: 5668
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am
Location: cold and dark and lovely Finland

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:12 pm

Demand an apology and if they don't give one, cut them then at least.

At least then you gave them multiple chances.
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: So, Valve Pulled Paranautical Activity

Postby Ragdollmaster » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:17 pm

"Sorry I threatened to kill you"

>showing any tolerance for death threats

:|
User avatar
Ragdollmaster
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Island of Lugaru

Next

Return to Randomness

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group cron